Lucy Morton Hudgins' Legacy
The MacCallum More Museum & Gardens (MMMG) began with Lucy Morton Hudgins’ love of gardening. Mrs. Hudgins was wife to Edward Wren Hudgins, former Chief Justice of the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals. The gardens were established in 1929 and quickly became the focal point of Mrs. Hudgins’ life work. The name MacCallum More derives from Mrs. Hudgins' Scottish heritage. She is related to the first Duke of Argyle and the seat of the head of the Campbell clan was called "MacCallum More".
Her son, Commander William Henry Hudgins, later expanded the gardens to what members and visitors see today. William or rather Billy, as he is more widely known, served as Personal Aide to President Truman as well as Admiral Carney, the Commander in Chief of NATO. Mr. Hudgins traveled extensively, and sent back treasures from around the world which were incorporated into his garden design. Thus, the gardens are dedicated to relations of the Hudgins/Morton families. In addition to the gardens, our facility holds a museum dedicated to housing several permanent exhibits including the Arthur Robertson Arrowhead Collection, the Thyne Institute, the Mecklenburg Hotel, the Estes Tribute, and a series of rotating art exhibitions. You can learn more about the Hudgins family by clicking here.